Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Unplanned

 
I have been serving as a teacher to the 8 year old children in my congregation.  I have loved it!  Each Sunday, we have a lesson on an aspect of living the gospel, such as being honest or developing your talents.  For some time, I have been wanting to have them over for an ice cream party, but twice I had to cancel for one reason or another (after sending them invitations in the mail).

Last Sunday, we tentatively planned for Tuesday after school.  Later, though, I realized my son had a Dr. appointment at that time and there was a meeting for parents that evening.  So I didn't plan on it.

Tuesday came, and I was sitting in the Dr.'s office with my son when I got a call from my 8 year old boy (who is in my primary class), telling me that kids were showing up.  "Oh no."  I thought.  "I'm not there, and I wanted to give notice to parents that we were doing it, and...oh well."

I asked my older daughters to oversee dishing out some ice cream and playing some games and I'd be home soon.  I quickly texted the rest of the parents' children, explaining that we are having ice cream at my house, and those kids came.  Eventually all of my class was there but one.  I showed up to a house full of fun-- nerf gun wars and dress ups.  I washed some bowls and served ice cream to those who hadn't had some.  It was loud and crazy, and wonderful.

I had planned to have my house clean for this event.  It was pretty messy.  I had planned to give parents a few days notice.  Totally overrated in this case.  I had planned to have cute paperware to serve the ice cream in, and lots of toppings and such.  They didn't care.  I had wondered how to keep them all entertained for 2 hours.  They entertained themselves, and had much more fun than if I had been there telling them how I thought we should have fun ("okay let's play a game of boolah boolah!")

I had a much better time, and much less stress, when the children took the lead and reminded me what it is like to be a kid.  Live in the moment and laugh.  And don't worry if your house or the decorations aren't perfect.  Actually, it is better and more relaxing that way.

A fascinating thing to me is to think about how the Savior spent his days.  I can't see Him sitting down with the apostles in the morning saying, "Today's agenda is as follows:  Sermon at 10 o'clock, Healings at 1, Rebuking devils at 3 and Water to Wine at 6.  Does everybody have that in their planners?  Okay let's go."  I can't see him rushing around in stress, trying to get to everything and everyone at once.

 

Rather, I see the Savior as the Master of the moment.  Seeing a present need.  Seeing someone in pain or someone who needed teaching, and doing what He needed to do for them, right then.  He had power to call down angels and force everyone to listen to Him, but instead He found the real power in spending an hour or two with those who came to Him.  He responded to the needs of Nicodemus, the woman at the well, the woman with the issue of blood, and many more.  When Mary chose to sit at His feet, He taught her.

I hope and pray to be more like my Savior.  To look at life not as a task list, but as an opportunity to be with and serve wonderful people.  To strive not to make perfection out of this messy mortality, but to seek the perfection that will come through Christ, for all those who seek Him, in an eternal and distant day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment